Wildfire is often in the news in central Oregon at this point in the summer. But so far it has been an afterthought. That is expected to change soon, with the onset of extreme fire conditions that could propel a small fire start into a major incident.
- Smoking is prohibited while traveling in the forest
- Open fires are prohibited except in designated areas
- Mowing of dried grass with power equipment is prohibited between hours of 10 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- The use of timber harvesting or forest fuel-reduction equipment using high-speed rotary heads or flails is prohibited between 1 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- The cutting, grinding, or welding of metal is prohibited between 1 p.m. and 8 p.m. When conducting these activities during permissible times, the area must be cleared of flammable vegetation.
More information on restrictions and current conditions is available at: www.oregon.gov/odf/centraloregon or by contacting your local Oregon Department of Forestry office.
Central Oregon District Forester
541-447-5658 ext 231